This no-cook dish with its vibrant color makes a great appetizer or starter soup. It is also made with avocado, a heart-healthy fruit that provides naturally good fats, is low in saturated fat, and is cholesterol- and sodium-free. Love One Today
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes and (optional) 8 cherry tomatoes, divided use
- 1 large cucumber (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp minced, fresh jalapeno (seeds and ribs discarded)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 large cooked shrimp
- In a food processor or blender, process the water, avocado, and vinegar until smooth.
- Add 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, the cucumber, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and salt, processing until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate the soup for at least 1 hour (it may be foamy and will need time to settle).
- Using 8 cocktail skewers, pierce 1 shrimp and 1 of the remaining 8 cherry tomatoes with each skewer. Garnish the soup with the skewers.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.